Informist, Monday, Jan 16, 2023
By Sandeep Sinha
MUMBAI – Futures contracts of most base metals on the Multi Commodity Exchange of India and the London Metal Exchange rose today due to improved risk appetite and a subdued dollar.
* The positive cues were further supported by a fall in stocks at LME-registered warehouses.
* “Commodities may remain supported on a slower pace of rate hikes while lighter trading volumes will be seen in the evening session as US markets are closed for Martin Luther King Jr. Day,” Kotak Securities said in a note.
* ALUMINIUM prices rose as traders increased their long positions on the domestic bourse, and inventories at LME-accredited warehouses fell by 3,600 tn to 399,650 tn. Chinese customs data showed unwrought aluminium exports soared 3.5% on month to 471,000 tn in December, which also supported prices.
* COPPER prices fell due to profit-booking and weak demand from top consumer China ahead of the New Year. The red metal underperformed other base metals in the January series on MCX, having fallen 0.3% since inception.
* LEAD prices rose due to a fall of 25 tn in stocks at LME warehouses, and traders raising their long positions on the MCX.
* At 1815 IST, on the MCX, the January futures contract of:
–Aluminium was at 221.75 rupees a kg, up 1.2%
–Copper was at 769.75 rupees a kg, down 0.3%
–Lead was at 192.35 rupees a kg, up 1.1%
–ZINC was at 289.0 rupees a kg, up 0.2%
* Outlook for the evening session on the MCX:
–Aluminium contract seen at 218.20-222.50 rupees a kg
–Copper seen at 762.0-778.0 rupees a kg
–Lead seen at 190.0-194.0 rupees a kg
–Zinc seen at 285.0–293.50 rupees a kg
US$1 = 81.61 rupees
IST, or Indian Standard Time, is five-and-a-half hours ahead of GMT
Edited by Avishek Dutta
For users of real-time market data terminals, Informist news is available exclusively on the NSE Cogencis WorkStation.
Cogencis news is now Informist news. This follows the acquisition of Cogencis Information Services Ltd by NSE Data & Analytics Ltd, a 100% subsidiary of the National Stock Exchange of India Ltd. As a part of the transaction, the news department of Cogencis has been sold to Informist Media Pvt Ltd.
Informist Media Tel +91 (22) 6985-4000
Send comments to [email protected]
© Informist Media Pvt. Ltd. 2023. All rights reserved.