4 C
New York
Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Fed seen holding rates steady this week after inflation data

Fed seen holding rates steady this week after inflation data
© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: The Federal Reserve building is pictured in Washington, U.S., on March 19, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis

(Reuters) -Federal Reserve policymakers are seen as far more likely to skip raising interest rates this week after government data Tuesday showed consumer price gains, while still too hot for comfort, slowed last month a bit more than expected.

Traders of futures tied to the Fed’s policy rate now see about a 95% chance the U.S. central bank will decide to forgo an 11th straight interest-rate hike and keep the benchmark rate at 5.00% to 5.25% on Wednesday. Before the report, traders saw about a one-in-four chance of a June rate hike.

Traders also trimmed bets on a Fed rate hike in July, overwhelmingly expected in markets before the report, which showed consumer prices rose 4% in May from a year earlier. That was the smallest annual gain in more than two years.

“The data ever so slightly tilts things towards this not just being a skip, but a full-blown hold,” said Brian Jacobsen, chief economist at Annex Wealth Management.

Source: Investing.com

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

Popular Articles