Informist, Monday, Oct 4, 2021
By Sayantan Sarkar
MUMBAI – Bullion futures on the Multi Commodity Exchange of India and COMEX fell today as higher yields on US Treasury bills dampened sentiment in the market.
* GOLD and SILVER demand dips when yields rise as it increases the opportunity cost of holding non-yielding assets.
* On the bullish front, data showed that the cost of goods and services in the US rose sharply in August and pushed inflation in the country to a 30-year-high. Concerns about rising prices had supported gold prices earlier in the day as investors use the yellow metal as a hedge against inflation.
* According to data published on Friday, speculative net long positions in gold totalled only 30,800 contracts on Sep 28. “They therefore plunged by another 34% week-on-week and have fallen by more than half in the space of two weeks,” Commerzbank AG said in a report.
* Gold holdings with SPDR Gold Trust fell by 3.49 tn on Friday to 986.54 tn, according to data on the website of the world’s largest gold exchange-traded fund.
* At 1648 IST, the most active contracts of bullion were:
–December gold down 0.3% at 46,349 rupees per 10 gm on MCX
–December gold down 0.2% at $1,754.40 an ounce on COMEX
–December silver down 0.6% at 60,161 rupees per kg on MCX
–-December silver down 0.2% at $22.50 an ounce on COMEX
* Outlook for the evening session by Angel One Commodities:
–MCX gold seen at 45,920-46,990 rupees
–COMEX gold seen at $1,734-$1,775
–MCX silver seen at 58,200-61,180 rupees
–COMEX silver seen at $22.17-$22.83
US$1 = 74.31 rupees
IST, or Indian Standard Time, is five-and-a-half hours ahead of GMT
Edited by Rajendra Masur
Cogencis news is now Informist. This follows the acquisition of Cogencis Information Services Ltd by NSE Data & Analytics Ltd, a 100% subsidiary of the National Stock Exchange of India Ltd. As a part of the transaction, the news department of Cogencis has been sold to Informist Media Pvt Ltd.
Informist Media Tel +91 (11) 4220-1000
Send comments to [email protected]
© Informist Media Pvt. Ltd. 2021. All rights reserved.